tabs

es about us es contact es archive es challenge es we love 9 es recipes es pintests es links

Wednesday 8 October 2014

PinTest: Wire Skull Decorations

pintest wire skulls

When I saw this Pin I knew I had to try it out and what better time of year than Halloween! These would make awesome decorations for a party both alone or grouped together to create a mobile and as it turns out they aren’t too tricky to DIY. Here’s a little more about how I got on with this Pin…

I started out by drawing my designs onto a sheet of paper so I’d know what final look I was aiming for as well as what different pieces I needed to make for each one. The designs I drew were mixtures of various parts I liked from the skulls in the original Pin but I tried to keep them fairly simple as I had no idea how well I was going to get on with the making process, but you can make them as complicated as you like.

I decided that it would be best to create the outline of the skull first and then add on the extra pieces. The skull outlines themselves were quite easy to make especially as they didn’t have to be spot on and I made sure I created a loop at the top of each one for hanging. I then made the eyes/nose section and the mouth section, leaving a length of wire at each end to attach them onto the outline frame.

For the first two skulls I worked with the blue wire which turned out to be more difficult to use than the gold due to how bendy it was! Although it was easy to manipulate the wire into the right shapes at times it proved difficult to keep them in place. The gold wire was slightly thicker and less flexible so the pieces kept their shape better whilst I was attaching them together.

I had a lot of fun making these skulls and I’m pretty pleased with how they turned out even though the wire I used wasn’t ideal. If you want to make your own I’d advise picking up a thicker wire that’s flexible but will hold it’s shape whilst you’re trying to add on the facial feature pieces.

We'd love to hear from you if you try out this Pin - use the hash tag #eightandsixteen to share your photos with us. If there are any particular Pins you'd like to see us test out let us know in the comments!

Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...