tabs

es about us es contact es archive es challenge es we love 9 es recipes es pintests es links

Friday 3 October 2014

Edward's Menagerie Make - Alexandre the Cat (aka Puss)




As promised, here is my attempt at one of the cute creatures from Edward's Menagerie by Kerry Lord.
As I said in our review, I knew that I wanted to attempt making Alexandre the cat - though my little guy is aptly named Puss - and despite being in the beginners section of the book, I have found making him a real learning curve.

With this being my first attempt at amigurumi, I decided to raid my wool stash instead of buying some of the beautiful TOFT wool. As tempting as it was, I'm glad I made this decision as there are tons of mistakes in Puss, and it would have been a shame to waste good wool.
When I say that I raided the stash, I meant it! I used every single scrap I could find in a similar colour way, with the result being a rather scrappy looking Puss - I think it suits him!

It took several attempts for me to get the hang of crocheting (and a few extra legs I might add) but I really think that I'm getting to grips with it now. You definitely need to keep a count of your stitches and rows and I have a sneaky suspicion I lost track a little on the body as it seems a bit too long.
Edward's Menagerie is great for advice and learning the techniques, and I will definitely be adding the book to my wishlist as I'd love to have it on my bookshelf. The most useful thing for me was being able to watch Kerry's tutorials on Youtube; I am definitely a visual learner and things made sense so much more quickly after watching these.

It's been so much fun to get to grips with crochet, and even better to learn with such a cute outcome. My next aim is to buy some TOFT wool and start making a few creatures that will hopefully be ready in time to give as Christmas presents - wish me luck :)


We'd love to hear from you if you've made anything from Edward's Menagerie - use the hash tag #eightandsixteen to share your photos with us!

Skye



4 comments:

  1. So so cute! What an incredible job you did! Love it! :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awhh, thank you Anjali! Glad you like him!

      Delete
  2. This one is really too cute. Which crochet hook size did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like my 16 year old Sweet Senior King Bubbi Siamese Cat. I own the book oft Toft and crocheted the ant-eater with cotton and hook no. 2,5 - 3 and it turned out pretty small. :) Would like to make it bigger.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...