tabs

es about us es contact es archive es challenge es we love 9 es recipes es pintests es links

Monday 23 June 2014

DIY Challenge: Upcycled Terrariums

terrariums challenge title

Today we have the first post in another regular feature here at Eight & Sixteen - DIY challenges!
In these posts we will both be taking on the same, or similar, projects based around a theme and sharing the results with you in a collaborative post!

As we are both fans of terrariums for the first challenge we decided to create our own using upcycled containers. Here's what we came up with....

Erin's Terrarium
before terrarium
terrarium after 4

Although I had originally hoped to find the perfect glass bowl in a charity shop or at a car boot sale I didn't manage to track one down as I was looking for quite a specific shape - one that would fit on my windowsill. Then, on a recent trip to IKEA I found this one tucked away in 'Bargain Corner' for £3 and snapped it up! As you can see from the 'before' photo the container was an ex-display item filled with a variety of rocks, soil, and a few not-so-healthy looking plants.
I emptied out the container completely to create my terrarium but did manage to salvage a few of the decorative shiny grey pebbles which I mixed in with the other pebbles on the top layer for an extra bit of interest.

Overall I'm really pleased with how it turned out and how perfectly it fits on my windowsill. I'm already planning to make another one!

Skye's Terrarium
I spent a good few hours hunting around charity shops to try and find the perfect bowl for my terrarium. I came across so many different glass bowls, and although I didn't find exactly what I was looking for, this one ticked most of the boxes for me.
I love the shape and that it has a base to slightly raise it up. The only problem is that it's quite shallow, so I can't have any more than 4 cacti in there. It's worth noting that I think the photo is a little deceiving - the cacti aren't squished too closely together, and definitely have enough breathing room :)

I'm really happy with the finished result, and can see myself making more of these in the future when I stumble across another bowl that fits the bill!


We'd love to hear from you if you try out this DIY project - use the hashtag #eightandsixteen to share your photos with us!

Erin & Skye

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...