tabs

es about us es contact es archive es challenge es we love 9 es recipes es pintests es links

Friday 1 August 2014

Craft To Learn Revisited: Calligraphy


It's been almost two months since my first Craft To Learn post, so I thought I'd give you an update on my progress.
I've learnt so much in the short time I've been practising calligraphy, but I feel like I've barely scratched the surface! I haven't been practising every day, but when I do go through more consistent spells it really makes a difference.

I know these samples are all very scrappy, but I wanted to show the reality of learning! There are dozens of other discarded pages; where the ink exploded all over the place, or I smudged a perfectly good word just as I finished it.
The biggest challenge I've had is down to me being left handed - it's taken a long time to find a writing position that works best for me. I know there are left handed nibs that you can buy, but for now I'm happy to persevere with standard nibs.

I've found it simultaneously therapeutic and frustrating learning calligraphy. Some evenings I can practice for an hour or so and not make any progress at all, and then other times it comes much more naturally and then it's the best feeling ever. I've learnt that paper quality makes a huge difference, though I'm sticking to scrap paper mostly as I'm still making quite a mess! I'd also like to invest in some better ink as I think that might help too.

So that's my first Craft To Learn all wrapped up! I'm definitely going to carry on practising and I can't wait to keep seeing improvements. If you've ever wanted to give calligraphy a go I would definitely recommend it - and if you have any tips or inspiration for me then please leave a comment below :)

Skye



4 comments:

  1. Beautiful! I've always wanted to learn how to do calligraphy!
    Will try someday!:)
    Love your blog, beautiful!
    -Lauren xoxo
    http://pretty-things-a-n-d-polka-dots.blogspot.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Lauren, you should give it a try! :)

      Delete
  2. I want to learn to do calligraphy, I love the way it looks! Do you have any advice on books or resources for learning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I started off with the dummies guide to calligraphy, which was good for initial practice - very practical and full of tips! Then as I started practising more I just went with what felt more natural! Pinterest is a great place to find inspiration too and it can even help just to copy from a particular image of a style you like. I hope that helps, and good luck :)

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...