tabs

es about us es contact es archive es challenge es we love 9 es recipes es pintests es links

Wednesday 24 September 2014

PinTest: Simple Screen Print

pintest screen print diy

Today's PinTest is based on a popular project that shows how to make your own screen prints at home with just a few supplies including a pair of tights!

To create the 'screen' I cut a square from a pair of nylon tights and stretched it out over the embroidery hoop. I then used a Sharpie to draw on my design and kept it simple for this test with a heart shape. To mask off the areas I didn’t want to print I applied a layer of Mod Podge (Glossy) and left to dry, then applied a second layer just to make sure there were no gaps and again left it to dry. To create the print I used acrylic paint and a scrap of cardboard to drag it across the screen making sure to cover the whole design as best I could.

As you can see from the close-up photograph below my print didn't come out as sharp as I was hoping. I'm not sure if this was due to the loose weave of the tights, the type fabric I printed onto, the method I used to distribute the paint or something else entirely. I have however seen other tutorials using sheer materials such as those used for net curtains in place of the nylon tights so perhaps that may give a better finish!

pintest screen print diy

Have you tried out this technique? If so we’d love to hear about your results - use the hash tag #eightandsixteen to share your photos with us!

If there are any particular Pins you'd like to see us test out let us know in the comments!

Erin 

4 comments:

  1. I've always wanted to do screen printing but couldn't afford it. This I have to try asap!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bought an embroidery hoop ages ago to try this but I haven't yet! Really need to though.
    Lauren // OhHay Blogs!
    xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great idea! I think I'll have to experiment with this :)
    Amber at Locketz with Love

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...